A view from the first summer in the MD/PhD program (and: meet the incoming class of 2016!)

Article and Artwork By: Camille van Neste (MS1)

Incoming_MSTP_Star_Wars

The First-Year class depicted as classic Star Wars heroes and anti-heroes: Matt (R2D2), David (Chewbacca), Louise (Grand Moff Tarkin), Varun (Lando Calrissian), Amara (Leia), Tucker (Luke), Joel (Darth Vader), James (Darth Sidious, Sahil (Obi-Wan Kenobi), Christian (Han Solo), Christie (Boba Fett), Camille (C3PO), and Fred (Yoda).

It is most fitting that I write this approximately one year after I had my very first MD/PhD interview at Mount Sinai. I hadn’t been to New York in over 10 years, so I couldn’t help but marvel at the scale of the architecture possible when you don’t have to worry about earthquakes. Fast forwarding to now, I’m still dazzled by the giant buildings. However, I’m dazzled by so many other things too: the ubiquity of home food delivery despite the convenience of a grocery store on every block, the intense August humidity, and (of course) the incredible speed by which my classmates and I are stuffing anatomical knowledge into our brains.

Having grown up in very rural parts of Oregon, Montana, and California I never expected to find myself spending eight years in one of the largest cities in the world. Thankfully, I’m not the only one navigating the culture clash along with getting used to medical school. In a few weeks when the anatomy class is over and our cadavers are put to rest, we will have Thanksgiving together during a brief respite from the next course. By that time, I will be a little more used to New York, a little more used to medical school, but hopefully I will still be dazzled by the community around me.

Meet the first years: 

Sahil Agrawal, Harvard University

Varun Arvind, Rutgers University-New Brunswick

James Carter, Wesleyan University

David Gonzalez, Brown University

Joel Kim, University of Rochester

Fred Kwon, University of Pennsylvania

Louise Malle, University of Pennsylvania

Tucker Matthews, University of Wisconsin

Madison Christie Nguyen, Stanford University

Amara Plaza-Jennings, Princeton University

Matthew Spindler, Princeton University

Christian Stevens, Harvey Mudd College

Camille van Neste, Stanford University