Tuesday, May 22nd, 2018, 5:30 PM.
Who: Anyone interested in learning about and attending Lobby Day for the New York Health Act on June 5th in Albany!
What: Learn to answer tough questions on the New York Health Act — our state universal, single-payer healthcare bill — in meetings with your legislators. Get the latest information on how single-payer will work in New York State and practice lobbying scenarios so you’re ready for Statewide Lobby Day for the New York Health Act on Tuesday, June 5 in Albany!
Join the grassroots effort to lobby for a healthcare system that puts patients over profit!
Dinner provided, but please RSVP so that we have an accurate headcount.
Tuesday, May 1st, 2018
12:00 pm to 1:00 pm
Mount Sinai Hospital
What if healthcare were a basic human right?
What is single payer?
How is it relevant to anti-racism work?
Curious? Join us for Single Payer 101
Featuring Dr. David Himmelstein,
Co-founder of Physicians for a National Health Plan
Thai food lunch provided!
Please join SS4CE for a training from Jaron Benjamin, an organizer with Housing Works, on bird-dogging and civil disobedience tactics. Lunch will be served.
We will have the opportunity to discuss segregated care at Mount Sinai and how to ensure that all patients receive equitable care with a focus on concrete steps we can take within the positions we occupy to offer more equitable care. We know that senior leadership has taken notice and we want to make sure that all of our voices and, most importantly, the voices of our patients are heard in advocating for equitable care.
TrumpCare Funeral March in Times Square:
Join SNaHP at the TrumpCare Funeral March in Times Square. We’ll be leaving together from Sinai (in front of Aron Hall) at 12:15pm and meeting the rest of the march 1 PM @ TKTS Booth Steps at Broadway & W. 46th St. Wear black. Bring your own signs and funereal props. Tell your own health care story. Download the flyer.
Ongoing organizing against TrumpCare:
Here are a few other things PNHP Members and Supporters can do to stop TrumpCare:
1) Go to D.C. to stop this bill: If you are able to participate in actions in D.C. — there are roles for those who can risk arrest, and support roles as well — PLEASE sign up here. This action is being coordinated by Housing Works and the Center for Peace and Democracy.
2) Donate: If you cannot go to D.C., consider donating to the lead organizations, Housing Works and Center for Peace and Democracy to help fund transportation from across the country for those who can. When you sign up at this link, more details will be shared with you about the action.
4) Keep Calling: *Call 844-898-1199 to connect with your Representative and tell them to reject Graham-Cassidy health care bill. Or use this Stop TrumpCare Dialer to call people in other states with key Senators to flip.
September 14th, 7:30 p.m.
Davis Auditorium, Hess Center for Science and Medicine:
Panel discussion on the fight to save the ACA, expand healthcare and how you can join the campaign to make universal healthcare possible here in New York!
- Assembly Member Dick Gottfried: Chair of the NY State Assembly Health Committee and sponsor of the NY Health Act will discuss the campaign to create a universal, publicly funded, single-payer health system in New York.
- Jaron Benjamin: VP of Community Mobilization & National Advocacy at Housing Works on the fight to save the ACA and importance of expanding healthcare access.
- Dr. Mary O’Brien: An Emergency and Internal Medicine physician and a national board member at Physicians for a National Health Program.
This event will immediately follow the Department of Family Medicine’s annual Happy Hour from 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. in the Hess Building and is sponsored by SNaHP, the Family Medicine Interest Group, the Department of Family Medicine, and Sinai Students for Civic Engagement.