Student organizations that are officially recognized by Student Council may apply each year for funding from Student Council. Budgets for student groups approved by Student Council are funded by the Student Activities fee that is included in tuition for medical students and a corresponding contribution from the Graduate School.
A full list of student organizations recognized by Student Council can be found here.
I’m a leader of a student group and want to start using Student Council funding — what do I need to do?
If your organization has previously been recognized by Student Council, it must submit an annual budget that will be considered by the treasurers. All student groups must apply every year to be recognized by Student Council (required to participate in the Activities Fair) and for funding.
All student group budgets start on 1 September and run for a full year. All funding requests should adhere to current policies, which can be downloaded here. Please keep in mind that these policies are intended as a floor, not a ceiling, and that we want to help student groups spend funding in new and creative ways. These same guidelines apply to funding for Student Council program representatives. The policies are:
Each semester, the student treasurers will send out information on a meeting that should be attended by at least one leader from any student organization receiving or seeking Student Council funding. At this meeting, procedures for submitting budgets will be presented and distributed, including policies on what can and cannot be funded.
If you ever have any questions about whether a purchase is refundable, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to making the purchase so you don’t end up out of money. Please reach out regarding any intended purchases regarding travel.
How much funding does my group have left?
Ok, so how do I actually spend this money we’ve received?
It is possible for Medical Education to pay certain vendors in advance of events. This means that students can avoid having large charges on their credit cards or bank statements while waiting for reimbursements. However, this requires submitting an invoice/quote at least two weeks in advance of the event. If you are purchasing:
- Make sure the items you need are available and take a screenshot/picture of the order and price.
- Send this screenshot/picture, along with the order link, to email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of the event.
- The payment will then be processed by Medical Education and you can pick up your supplies.
Food: We have an agreement with certain restaurants in the neighborhood whereby food can be purchased ahead of time.
- Check to see if the restaurant is on this list. If not, let us know and we can try to have it added.
- If it is on the list, please complete the request form, including the approximate amount for the food purchase, at least two weeks in advance of the event.
- Upon approval of the request, you will receive further instructions from Medical Education.
If you do not have enough advance time or there is another extenuating circumstance, you can always make the purchase directly and then submit for a reimbursement. If you are seeking a reimbursement:
Prior to Making a Purchase:
- Show the Mount Sinai Tax Exempt Form to vendors to avoid paying sales tax on your purchase, which we cannot reimburse.
- If you are on Sinai payroll, please do not use your payroll card for any purchases over $200 as these can’t be reimbursed.
- Make sure to ask for an itemized receipt.
- Save your receipts.
- Add your event to the Student Activities calendar. More information on that process can be found here.
After Making a Purchase:
- Save your receipts until the day you have your money back. For receipts totaling over $200 (even if you are being reimbursed for less), you need a credit card statement with your (A) Name, (B) Last 4 digits, and (C) Charge with date.
- Fill out this form, which will require the receipt and a credit card statement, if necessary. This should be submitted within four weeks of the purchase. You will receive confirmation when your form has been submitted and after it’s been approved.
- The student treasurers will approve your request and send it to Medical Education for further processing, which will take two-three weeks. If the reimbursement is less than or equal to $200 you will pick up petty cash from the cashier on the Annenberg MC level (you will need original receipts for this). If it is greater than $200, you will receive a check from Medical Education directly or direct deposit if you are on a stipend. Reimbursements over $200 will likely take three-four weeks.
I have an idea for a new group and want to receive Student Council funding — what do I need to do?
To receive funding from Student Council, groups must be recognized by Student Council and propose a budget. To begin this process, please fill out this application. Please note that even if you don’t want Student Council funding, you should still seek recognition as only Student Council recognized groups can participate in the Activities Fair.
Some things you will need to think about before this process are:
- What do you want to do?
- What kinds of activities are you holding? For whom? How many times a semester?
- Is there a group that already does what you do? Would it be more appropriate to be a branch of that group? Why or why not?
- Do you want funding? How much?
- How will you ensure that shared resources are maintained from year to year?
- Do you have a faculty advisor? (You will need one to be recognized.)
- Have you made a website on WebCommons? If not, do so here.
- Have you set up an email?
Once you have formulated answers to these questions and sent them to the treasurers, your group’s proposal will be voted on by Student Council class and program representatives.
Is there anything else useful I need to know?
Before hosting an event, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to see if Student Council might already have some items needed for your event. For example, Student Council has some tables and other items that can be used by Student Groups.
How do I make a room reservation?
This has been helpful, but I still have questions — who should I email?
Please contact email@example.com with any questions — this email is constantly monitored and you will get a prompt response.