Student organizations that are officially recognized by Student Council may apply each year for funding from Student Council. Budgets for student groups approved by Student Council are funded by the Student Activities fee that is included in tuition for medical students and a corresponding contribution from the Graduate School. As such, this funding is to support activities among medical and graduate students at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
A full list of student organizations recognized by Student Council can be found HERE.
Budget and Funding Policies:
Applying for Student Group Funding
If your organization has previously been recognized by Student Council, it must submit an annual budget that will be considered by the treasurers. All student groups must apply every year to be recognized by Student Council and for funding using this form.
Checking your Group’s Remaining Funding
All student group budgets start on September 1st and run for a full year. All funding requests should adhere to current policies, which can be downloaded here. Please keep in mind that these policies are intended as a floor, not a ceiling, and that we want to help student groups spend funding in new and creative ways. These same guidelines apply to funding for Student Council program representatives. The policies are:
Also note the following:
- Only purchases for events held in the current fiscal year (i.e. from Sept. 1st, 2019 to Aug. 31st, 2020) can be reimbursed from the current year’s budget. Any events held after Aug. 31st, 2020 must be reimbursed from next year’s budget, NOT the 2019-2020 budget. This rule applies to all spending, regardless of the date you purchase your items, the date you apply for reimbursement, or the date you receive reimbursement from MedEd.
- Budgets do not roll over from year to year.
- Sales tax is not reimbursable. Please show the Mount Sinai Tax Exempt Form to any vendors you intend to purchase items from.
- Gift cards and gift certificates are not reimbursable. These must be purchased directly by MedEd in advance through a PO/invoice process. Email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance if you intend to purchase gift cards.
- Venmo cannot be accepted as a receipt.
- Purchases related to travel expenses are subject to additional rules. Email email@example.com prior to making these purchases so that we can ensure they are reimbursable.
If you ever have any questions about whether a purchase is refundable, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to making the purchase so you don’t end up out of money.
It is possible for Medical Education to pay certain vendors in advance of events. This means that students can avoid having large charges on their credit cards or bank statements while waiting for reimbursements. However, this requires submitting an invoice/quote at least two weeks in advance of the event. If you are purchasing:
- Make sure the items you need are available and take a screenshot/picture of the order and price.
- Send this screenshot/picture, along with the order link, to email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of the event.
- The payment will then be processed by Medical Education and you can pick up your supplies.
Food: We have an agreement with certain restaurants in the neighborhood whereby food can be purchased ahead of time.
- Check to see if the restaurant is on this list. If not, let us know and we can try to have it added.
- If it is on the list, please complete the request form, including the approximate amount for the food purchase, at least two weeks in advance of the event.
- Upon approval of the request, you will receive further instructions from Medical Education.
If you do not have enough advance time or there is another extenuating circumstance, you can always make the purchase directly and then submit for a reimbursement. Please note that only medical or graduate students can be reimbursed for expenses paid to vendors with itemized receipts. If you are seeking a reimbursement:
Prior to Making a Purchase:
- Check your group’s funding, which is available HERE. If your group has insufficient funding for the purchase, you will not be reimbursed.
- Check the date of your event. Make sure that it falls before September 1st, 2020, otherwise it will not be reimbursed from the 2019-2020 budget.
- Note that we cannot reimburse sales tax. Show the Mount Sinai Tax Exempt Form to vendors to avoid paying sales tax on your purchase.
- If you are on Sinai payroll, please do not use your payroll card for any purchases over $200 as these can’t be reimbursed.
- Make sure to ask for an itemized receipt.
- Save your receipts.
- Add your event to the Student Activities calendar. More information on that process can be found here. Make sure to advertise your event twice to the student-events listserv as required in the funding guidelines.
After Making a Purchase:
- Save your receipts until the day you have your money back. For receipts totaling over $200 (even if you are being reimbursed for less), you need a credit card statement with your (A) Name, (B) Last 4 digits, and (C) Charge with date.
- Fill out this form, which will require the receipt and a credit card statement, if necessary. This should be submitted within four weeks of the purchase. You will receive confirmation when your form has been submitted and after it’s been approved.
- The student treasurers will approve your request and send it to Medical Education for further processing, which will take two-three weeks. If the reimbursement is less than or equal to $200 you will pick up petty cash vouchers from the front desk in the Medical Education Department, Annenberg 13-30, which you can then bring to the cashier on the Annenberg MC level (you will need to include original receipts for this). If it is greater than $200, you will receive a check from Medical Education directly or direct deposit if you are on a stipend. Reimbursements over $200 will likely take three-four weeks.
New Groups Applying for Recognition/Funding
To receive recognition/funding from Student Council, groups must be recognized by Student Council and propose a budget. To begin this process, please fill out this application.
Some things you will need to think about before this process are:
- What do you want to do?
- What kinds of activities are you holding? For whom? How many times a semester?
- Is there a group that already does what you do? Would it be more appropriate to be a branch of that group? Why or why not?
- Do you want funding? How much?
- How will you ensure that shared resources are maintained from year to year?
- Do you have a faculty advisor? (You will need one to be recognized.)
- Have you made a website on WebCommons? If not, do so here.
- Have you set up an email?
The Student Treasurers will process your application and Student Council will decide whether to provide funding.
Before hosting an event, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to see if Student Council might already have some items needed for your event. For example, Student Council has some tables and other items that can be used by Student Groups.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions — this email is constantly monitored and you will get a prompt response.